Tech giants like Dropbox, YouTube, Netflix, and Google are using Python—the most popular programming language—to develop their applications and server software. Consequently, the demand for Python developers is high, and hiring an expert developer is no piece of cake. So, how do you hire a Python developer? Find out how to attract the talent that will be a valuable addition to your team.
Table of contents
- What is Python?
- What are the responsibilities of a Python Developer?
- What is the required Skill Set for a Python Developer?
- What type of Python Developer should you choose?
- In-House Developer vs. Outsourcing
- Outsourcing to ClickIT
What is Python?
It is a powerful, flexible, and dynamic scripting programming language that allows rapid development through clear and logical code. A Python development company with the necessary expertise level in Python scripting commonly delivers Python development services.
What are the responsibilities of a Python Developer?
A Python developer has several tasks besides just writing efficient and scalable codes. To create competent and valuable applications, they should fully understand their main responsibilities, including:
- Understanding requirements. A Python developer must understand and analyze business needs. In the same way, they must recognize what users like to see in an application and fulfill those feature requests to ensure the company satisfies its customers. Moreover, they must be able to create component-based software. In other words, their developed applications should offer a set of services with well-defined and user-friendly interfaces.
- Developing back-end components. A good Python developer knows how to develop back-end components to improve web applications’ performance, responsiveness, and make robust server-side logic. Additionally, this position’s additional requirement is creating an engaging platform with statistical learning models and highly receptive web applications.
With these two main responsibilities in mind, let’s check additional ones.
- Designing and executing. When you hire a python developer, he should know the importance of fast-operating web applications. Therefore, the person is responsible for designing and applying high availability with low latency apps, including data protection and data security characteristics.
- Testing and debugging. Testing and debugging software using different Python testing tools, such as PyUnit, Pytest, and Behave, is one of the additional responsibilities of a Python developer. Moreover, a developer has to know ways for performance testing, as well as application automation.
- Integration. The applicant should know all the elements that enhance user convenience and integrate them when developing a piece of software or web application.
With all this in mind, the next step is to determine the developer’s skills.
What is the required Skill Set for a Python Developer?
There’s a low probability that you’ll find a Python developer for hire who completely fulfills the skills you require, but at least they should understand the general ideas of each competence.
Expert in Python Concepts
When hiring a developer, ensure the person knows the fundamental concepts of Python, such as:
- Data types and data structures
- Exception handling
- Working with files and streams of data
- Functional and object-oriented programming
Works on Python Frameworks
Python frameworks can be a blessing for a developer. They help speed the development process by stamping out low-level problematic stuff, including common protocols, threads, or sockets.
Frameworks like Flask and Django can ease your Python developer’s life and help them develop a quick application prototype by saving several hours of unnecessary boilerplate coding.
Knowledge of Front-End Technologies
Having the knowledge and skills to work with front-end technologies is a plus for a Python developer. Why? Because it helps developers ensure there’s harmony between the client-side and server-side.
Although at a corporate level, front-end development includes an entire team of UI/UX designers, SCRUM masters, and project managers to ensure proper coordination, it doesn’t mean a Python developer ignores it.
Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
Artificial intelligence and machine learning industries have been prominent over recent years. And because these industries have been providing new innovations, their implementation has become essential in modern software development.
So, it is best for a Python developer to know the fundamental concepts of both ML and AI algorithms and technologies, but it’s not a must. These skills help understand, visualize, analyze, and predict information for developing better projects to meet stakeholders’ and the company’s demands.
All software projects go through numerous versions and modifications during the developmental phase. Knowing about version control will help a Python developer keep track of any application changes with full traceability. Furthermore, this skill will help a developer collaborate with other front-end and back-end developers working on a similar project.
A few popular version control systems include sites like GitHub, BitBucket, and Gitlab. These platforms are famous among developers, allowing them to set up CI/CD within the repository.
After learning a set of developer skills, the next thing is to decide on a developer type.
What type of Python Developer should you choose?
This step is essential because types of Python developers differ in salaries, project deliverability time, and management, which affect your project workflow and budget. So, you should choose from the following options:
An in-house Python developer is a person within the company to which the projects are assigned. The person is responsible for completing tasks with all the available resources the organization provides to attain its goals.
For example, a company might hire in-house Python developers for a new project because it already has a previous team of developers working on other projects within the firm’s environment.
Furthermore, in-house hiring occurs when a company plans to start new projects. That is why in-housing is generally expensive for an organization, as it involves applying a new process to establish a different department within the company.
In outsourcing, a company hires a team or an individual Python developer to work on projects from the outside environment. The outsourced developer uses all the resources available at their disposal without the company’s involvement to complete tasks. As a result, this way of hiring python developers saves you money.
In-House Developer vs Outsourcing
To understand which type of developers you need, you should know the advantages and disadvantages of each and the hiring process itself.
In-House Python Developer Pros
- On-site availability. The first and foremost advantage of in-house Python developers is that you know where to find them to discuss your business plan and new tasks. You can reach them in person, as they are always available in their department.
- Awareness of the business. Since an in-house Python developer is connected with your business operations, they understand your business’s requirements, which helps it grow and run smoothly.
- In-depth knowledge of set-up and systems. An in-house developer is aware of your business vision and mission and has in-depth knowledge about your setup and systems. It saves you time in making them understand how the system works. As a result, they can quickly fix problems and deliver tasks on time.
In-House Python Developer Cons
- Huge expenses. An in-house Python developer or a team is pretty expensive. First of all, you can lose money in the hiring process. Next, you will have to purchase equipment for the new employee; if it’s time, you might need to buy or rent a new workspace. Even more, you have to pay a Python developer salary. And worse, in case the person is not suitable to complete your projects, you will have to hire someone else.
- Absence problem. Another disadvantage is the potential absence of an in-house developer. For example, if the person is sick or has left the job, you will have to spend your precious time and money recruiting new talent to finish what was started by a different developer who may have had a distinct approach.
- Low loyalty rates. Due to high demand and luxurious salary packages, Python developers in European and Western countries switch companies frequently. This factor makes your organization vulnerable, as you are not sure whether a developer working with you today will stay or leave in a couple of days, weeks, or months. Therefore, there is always a high chance that your leading Python developer may switch jobs during the essential phase of a project.
- Lack of important skills. It is not always necessary that your in-house developer has all the skills to complete a particular project. While training your employee is a great option, the process can be extremely time-consuming and costly, and you may lose a highly-profitable project due to the lack of skills of your in-house developer.
Keeping the pros and cons in mind, let’s check out how to hire an in-house developer.
How Do You Hire an In-House Developer?
- Find someone with a сomprehensive skill set. An in-house Python developer should have all the required skills to develop software or applications. A great team or an individual should understand your product’s primary code base while considering other technologies’ impact on your product. Also, they should know how to make your software or application interact with such technologies to make the product beneficial for the user.
- Analyze strengths and weaknesses. Ask your potential in-house developer questions such as, can they meet their self-created deadlines? Do they prefer teamwork or working alone? Ask if they are specialized in both back-end and front-end development. If yes, what’s their competency level?
You should ask all these questions to ensure you’re spending your resources on the right candidate and avoid disappointments.
- Prefer developers with a creative vision. Technical skills are the prerequisite of any Python developer. However, you should also see the creative side of your potential hire. Remember, the best candidate will have a balanced approach towards both sides, allowing you to develop an excellent product at the end of the day.
Now, you should try different places to help you find and hire a python developer.
Where Should You Search for In-House Developers?
The following are the most popular places to search for a developer. But you do not need to limit yourself; you can search somewhere else or, for example, based on the recommendations of your partners.
Stack Overflow Jobs is a popular job posting website under the supervision of Stack Overflow—a major online platform for all kinds of developers. The site has 5 million users and 40 million organic visitors every month.
The best thing about Stack Overflow Jobs is that all your job advertisements appear next to the relevant threads, helping you target a suitable and qualified workforce.
Visit Tech Events to Search for Talented Developers
Another great way to find skillful developers is to look for them at tech events, such as:
- PyCon. It’s an event where you can find the best Python developers.
- Frameworks Days. This event is organized explicitly for web developers and PHP developers.
You can find many genius programmers in universities. So, if you are in contact with any top tech universities or institutions, you can ask the management to suggest their best students.
Such developers may lack experience, but they will be serious about their passion. Moreover, some universities also arrange hackathon events where you can find expert developers among their students.
Now, let’s look at outsourced developers advantages and disadvantages.
Outsourced Python Developer Pros
- Approaching the talent pool. Many great IT experts work with MSPs, as they prefer using their skills on different projects to enhance their professional experience. You can achieve great results if you outsource your project to an individual Python developer or a team.
- Focus on important business functions. Outsourcing projects means you must supervise the timeline and ensure everything is according to the planned strategies. You can use the saved time to focus on other essential and core business operations.
- Cost-efficiency. A dedicated team of Python developers can help you save a tremendous amount of time and money. How? Because you won’t need to conduct interviews, pay salaries, buy new equipment, or rent a place for the department. Instead, you must pay the individual or team mostly per hour.
- Flexibility. Outsourcing your Python projects to another company or team of experts can help get rid of unnecessary commitments. It is up to you when and for how many hours you would like the team to complete the task. For example, you can assign 30 hours one week and 10 hours another week. And if you don’t need their assistance, you are not bound to give them any hours until you find a need to have them on board.
- Quick project delivery. Sometimes you need to complete a small project quickly. Going with outsourcing will provide you with all the essential resources to complete the task faster.
Outsourced Python Developer Cons
- Management problems. Remember that you can only supervise the project and not be involved entirely and control everything. If you’re working with a reliable MSP, you don’t have to worry about managing things. However, not all outsourced Python developers and teams have the ability to deliver work on time due to mismanagement. To eliminate this problem, you may need to hire an in-house project manager to ensure the outsourcing is going in the right direction.
- Communication problems. Many outstanding outsourcing companies and individuals fall in different time zones. Therefore, you cannot expect completion on time due to this difference. So, selecting an individual or MSP that matches your time zone or has a slight difference in hours is best.
After learning the pros and cons, you can move to the next step.
Trusted Sources to Find the Ideal Python Developers
There are many online platforms that claim to help you find outsourcing developers.
- Upwork. Upwork allows you to find top-rated, highly experienced outsourcing individuals and services with fixed prices and hourly rates. You can release payments when the projects are delivered to you.
- Freelancer.com. You can hire a worker after creating payment milestones. Once milestones are achieved, your payment will be released.
- Guru. You can post your jobs and pay the hired person after the work is completed.
- Fiverr. Professional freelancers make and post “gigs.” Once it goes live, buyers can review the gigs, see the price, contact the freelancer, and start working.
- GitHub. GitHub is a great platform to see the work of professional Python developers and contact them.
Finally, you know the main pros and cons of in-house and outsource types and where and how to hire a Python developer for each. So, let’s briefly sum up in-house vs. outsourcing.
Comparison Table: In-House vs. Outsourcing
After discovering how to hire a Python developer in different ways, you may ask if there’s a tool or software to do this job for you. And the answer is, of course! Some solutions can save you time, effort, and money when hiring Python developers, so let’s check out one example.
Outsourcing to ClickIT
ClickIT is a software and IT company that helps businesses with tech solutions focused on cloud migrations, DevSecOps, AWS managed, and microservices.
Benefits of ClickIT
- Great experience. ClickIT has been in the business for the past 10 years and has completed 500+ successful projects.
- Big talent pool. ClickIT includes a team of 50+ certified engineers to ensure professionals complete tasks to achieve the desired results.
- Live collaboration. ClickIT offers live collaboration to enhance productivity and minimize communication gaps.
- Cultural affinity. ClickIT ensures a smoother working environment with full mutual understanding.
If you want to develop high-quality projects within a limited budget, outsourcing nearshore IT services are the best choice.
The nearshore outsourcing model is about providing IT projects to less expensive countries that are geographically close and culturally identical.
Some of the best nearshore benefits are:
- Cost-effective solutions. We offer budget-friendly services to all your customers.
- Like in-house engineers. Our work environment and ethics make your customers feel like they’re in contact with in-house engineers.
- Continuous communication. We schedule daily SCRUM meetings with each customer.
- Easy contracting process. We are an outsourcing company with an uncomplicated contracting process.
- Same time zone. We share the same time zone as the USA and Canada, allowing us to proactively enjoy non-stop communication and solve problems.
A Python developer is more than a robotic writer of efficient and scalable codes. This position requires responsibilities like developing back-end components, testing, debugging, and integration. So, when you want to hire a Python developer, make sure you look for candidates with expertise and skills in core Python and its frameworks. You should also consider outsourcing your development projects to other organizations, as they already have a team of rich talent and experts.
Python developers can help you save a tremendous amount of time and money because you need to pay the individual or team mostly per hour.
Outsourcing a project to a Python development company can cost you $40-65 USD per hour. It can vary from nation to nation, plus the project specifications. But a standard range would be the previously provided. A nearshore software development company commonly keeps its prices around 40-65 USD while delivering a similar time zone, continuous collaboration, and cultural affinity.
Tech giants like Dropbox, YouTube, Netflix, and Google use Python, the most popular programming language, to develop their applications and server software. Therefore, the demand for Python developers is high, considering this position requires responsibilities like developing back-end components, testing, debugging, and integration.
A Python developer has several tasks besides writing efficient and scalable codes; they create competent and valuable applications. Therefore they should fully understand their primary responsibilities such as:
-Developing back-end components.
-Designing and executing
-Testing and debugging
When hiring a Python developer, make sure you look for candidates with expertise and skills in core Python and its frameworks. Such as:
-Expert in Python Concepts; like data types, data structure, exception handling, working with files and streams of data
-Knowledge of Front-End Technologies to ensure harmony between the client-side and server-side.
-Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence to help understand, analyze, and predict information for developing better projects
-Version Control to keep track of any application changes with full traceability.
Many online platforms can help you find outsourcing Python developers such as;