In these days, the amount of data in our world has been exploding, and increasing each day, more data cross the Internet every second than the data were stored on the entire internet years ago.
You might be asking the differences between big data and how it relates to traditional data management and analytics.Big data has a big potential to transform a traditional business to one that has a competitive advantage, a productivity growth and it will become a key to innovation.
Business executives will see using big data for what it is: a management revolution. The big data movement, like analytics before it, seeks to glean intelligence from data and translate that into a business advantage.
The big data of this revolution is far more powerful than the analytics that we used in the past.
To understand the phenomenon that is big data, it is often described using five Vs: Volume, Velocity, Variety, Veracity, and Value.
- Volume:refers to the opportunity to work with many petabytes or exabytes of data in just a single data set. However, data volumes can become very large as companies need.
- Velocity: refers to the speed at which new data is generated in real time and the speed at which data moves around, this make a huge advantage for an agile company than its competitors.
- Variety: refers to the different types of data we can now use (structured and unstructured) including messages, social media conversations, photos, sensor data, video or voice recordings and bring them together with more traditional, structured data. Big data readings from sensors; GPS signals from cell phones, and more.
- Veracity: refers about data understandability. Companies have to Make sure that your data dictionary tool has a user-friendly end-user interface, make the metadata and definitions visible not just to developers but to the business.
- Value: when you are looking to get into Big data, Value is the most important V for business and big data. The business must define the analytic application of the data and its potential associated value to the business.
Nature of information today is different from the information in the past . Due to the abundance of sensors , microphones , cameras , scanners, images , etc. in our Lives , Data generated from these elements shortly will be the largest of all available information.
The use of Big Data has helped researchers discover things that one might have taken them years to discover for themselves without using these tools , due the speed analysis , its possible that data analysts change their ideas, based on the obtained result and repeating again and again until they obtain the desired result.