What is cloud computing ?
Cloud computing is applying high-performance computing, a way to increase capacity without investing in new infrastructure, training new personnel, or licensing new software. Cloud computing billing is an on demand based system, which means you only pay for what you are using, monthly/hourly per server over the internet as it extends your current IT.
It has been a long way, seems short but it has been 10 years since its creation and developing an infrastructure for collaboration vía internet from different devices such as: computers, laptops, smartphones, etc.
Applications, websites, online stores and everything is moving to the cloud. The great change from the traditional Physical Server to a virtual one!
Most enterprises have an IT department, having in there specific people just to have the servers up-to-date, give maintenance, installing the required software, etc. This department needs definitely decrease on number and costs (not on people but systems), you will save a lot of money on changing all your IT department to the cloud.
What makes cloud computing so requested nowadays?
The flexible shared infrastructure means it works like a utility: You only pay for what you need, which means that if you can afford it, go and create more servers as you need or eliminate them as they are virtual and flexible, feel free to scale up or down since it is so easy.
- Security the virtual cloud offer you either becoming a public or a private cloud, secure all your servers creating a Private Network.
- Cloud backups forget about loosing all your data, if you need more backups, most of the cloud computing sellers offer a solution that we call "Cloud backups". You can make your daily/monthly backups in the server and outside the server.
- Automatic upgrades Cloud computing technology doesn't force you to decide between upgrading and preserving all your hard work, because those customizations and integrations are automatically preserved during an upgrade.
- Self-managed servers feel free about adding more capacity to your Hard drive. Want more power? add more processors or RAM memory. Manage your server specs as your customers or traffic grows!
- Testing Environments create your testing environments for your website or application, which means do and delete whatever you need without worrying about the real servers, and once you have everything good-to-go just do the update/clone/point your server to the new and that's it.
- Quicker deployments Creating and eliminating environments for new applications is a much faster process, allowing your development team to use their time most efficiently.
Moving to the cloud
Migrating is a big step, it considers everything, every change that will be made in order to make the cloud server, website or application to function as its meant to be. Once you have all that done, you are good to go!.
Once you’ve figured out what type of server do you need, the server specifications such as: RAM, CPU, Processors, Bandwith, etc and what services do you need installed that are already implemented in the cloud such as: (RDS for databases, Mail servers, Load balancers, CDN, Monitoring, Storage, etc) if you have anything like this in your physical server set up, will probably need a new installation from the cloud hosting provider. All this counts to be estimated in the billing.
If you are not very familiarized with the migration process it's not recommended for you to do it all alone, things can result as they were not expected to be, so, remember you can always hire an IT expert who can guide you trough all the process or implement your whole IT department to the cloud.
Well Known Cloud Hosting Providers:
Here is a comparison Graphic of the Cloud hosting providers
( This image shows the leading of Amazon Web Services as in the IT Cloud computing world, it has by far, most of the clients of the Cloud. Vía Gartner)
In the Magic quadrant in reference to the infrastructure as a service in the cloud 2014, Gartner placed Amazon Web Services as leaders of the quadrant and classified them as the most visionaries and capable of execution, leaving some companies behind such as Microsoft, Google, Rackspace, etc.
Now its time to integrate our application to the cloud!
Think about the implementation of your IT department, about your IT costs reduction, high available and scalable servers as flexible as possible and manage it as your budget is! and easy and customizable Cloud environment for you.